At BlogWorld Expo, tools and strategies for nonprofits
The first Causes/Activism track at the just-ended Blogworld Expo in Las Vegas drew some 1,500 participants — a promising showing by the nonprofit community. I moderated the Tools for Nonprofit Organizations panel, with panelists Judy Chang of Paypal, Justin Perkins of Care2, David Levy of SocialVibe, James Sutandyo of Causecast and consultant Scott Henderson.
Here’s my Flickr photo set of BlogWorld Expo, about 60 photos in all. I also put together this Delicious tag — delicious.com/bwe09 — to aggregate many of the the services, tools and platforms that nonprofits and social change organizations can use to raise funds to advance their missions online.
About 100 people, chiefly from nonprofits small and large, attended our panel and you can follow what they tweeted about the session at #tools4npo
The panelists collectively came up with these recommendations:
8 tips for raising funds online
1. Make it a specific project, not for the overarching nonprofit or a general fund
2. Tell a compelling story with a strong human-interest angle
3. Create a feedback loop from the recipients to the donors to form an emotional bond
4. Have a hard stop — set a date to donate by
5. Pool your efforts by collaborating with reputable like-minded partners (including trading space in partners’ email newsletters)
6. Don’t pussyfoot around — have a clear and specific “ask” or call to action Continue reading