Guest post by Beth Kanter
It’s the sweltering dog days of summer and many nonprofits are deep into planning for year-end campaigns and perhaps looking for ways to raise money now. While I was sitting on the beach on vacation, Network for Good published a free ebook called How to Raise a Lot More Money Now – 50 Great Ideas from 11 Top Experts.
You’ll find lots of advice and tips from these experts. The authors include Jeff Brooks, Sarah Durham, Jocelyn Harmon, Kivi Leroux Miller, Mark Rovner, Nancy Schwartz, Chris Forbes, Alia McKee Scottand Katya Andresen. Allison Fine and I have contributed some tips from a chapter in The Networked Nonprofit on fundraising.
More than 7,000 people have downloaded the book (you have to fill out a form first) and the reviews have been glowing.
Favorite tips from the ebook
A few of my favorite tips:
- Ignore your brand guidelines. They are all about you, not about your donors, and that will hurt your fundraising.
- Organize a volunteer online thank-you corps. Donors get a simple training and are then assigned new donors to personally thank on behalf of the cause.
- Take a very long walk. You’re more likely to solve lingering problems with creative solutions if you give your brain a break. Really. Try it.
- If you’re having a creative block on the fundraising front, ask your child (or a family friend’s child) what your organization does. You will get a refreshing perspective that may inspire your next ask. There’s no better way to get out of the metaphorical weeds than to ask advice of someone who is only a few feet high.
Get your copy of How to Raise a Lot More Money Now – 50 Great Ideas from 11 Top Experts.
Republished from bethkanter.org.
• Free nonprofit reports, whitepapers & ebooks (Socialbrite)
Beth Kanter is CEO of Zoetica, a consultancy for nonprofits. See her profile, visit her blog, contact Beth or leave a comment.