Resources to help your organization move the needle
Here are some resources to accompany the talk by Socialbrite’s J.D. Lasica and Shonali Burke at the United Nations on Jan. 20, 2012.
Above is our presentation, How NGOs can use social media to create impact and eradicate poverty.
We’re hoping we can work with some of you:
• to create a social media program or campaign for your organization
• to put on a social media training workshop for your organization
• to offer other Socialbrite services.
Socialbrite offers strategic consulting services to nonprofits, NGOs and social enterprises. Please contact us and let’s discuss!
Sites mentioned in the presentation
Among the sites referenced in this presentation:
• Sharing Center: Free social media tutorials, reports, guides to monitoring and metrics tools, media resources and much more.
• World Bank: Poverty Reduction & Equity
• USA for UNHCR Blue Key campaign
• charity: water: The story of charity: water video (five year anniversary) and WaterForward campaign and find your charity: water project on a map
• How charity: water changes lives through multimedia
• Epic Change and its annual To Mama With Love campaign
• 1-to-1 micro-giving and micro-fundraising: Vittana, give2gether, Razoo, Causevox, Kiva, DonorsChoose
• We’re proud that Socialbrite strategist Ken Banks has created a mobile NewsWatch series for National Geographic online, focusing on use of SMS for social good in the developing world.
• Frontline SMS mobile case studies
• Mobile resources on Socialbrite and get your own mobile calling card at contxts.com
• Follow us on Twitter: @jdlasica, @shonali, @socialbrite
8 handouts to share with your team
It’s no simple task to launch a social media initiative at an NGO. Here are some resources to get you going in the areas of content creation, multimedia, storytelling and related topics.
• 10 free metrics tools for actionable analytics (also at bit.ly/metricstools)
• 10 social media monitoring tools (also at bit.ly/10monitoring)
• 10 collaboration tools for your organization (also at bit.ly/teamcollab)
• 12 steps to a successful campaign
• 45 hashtags for social change (also at bit.ly/45hashtags)
• 15 best practices for the Social Web (also at bit.ly/15bestpractices
• 12 social action hubs (also at bit.ly/12socialhubs)
• 10 mobile apps for good (also at bit.ly/10mobileapps)
Articles related to storytelling
• 8 great examples of nonprofit storytelling
• Visual storytelling checklist
• How nonprofits should be using visual storytelling
• Mash up a visual story for your nonprofit
• How to maximize your nonprofit’s impact with YouTube
• Create video stories for your nonprofit in 6 steps
• Digital storytelling: A tutorial in 10 easy steps
• Roundup of resources on how to create media
• How to run an effective campaign
Making media resources & guides
Creating media: a collection of resources on Socialbrite
- A step-by-step guide to creating a media strategy
- A 13-point guide for creating media
- Guide to shooting better online video
- A quick guide to multimedia software
- Complete guide to creating a video project
- How nonprofits should be using visual storytelling
- Visual storytelling checklist
- 8 tips to help you shoot video like a pro
Mobile resources & guides
Mobile: a collection of resources on Socialbrite
- Mobile: How to set up an SMS campaign system
- A beginner’s guide to mobile fundraising
- How nonprofits can get started with mobile
- 7 ways for nonprofits to raise funds with mobile
- 10 mobile apps for social good
- A user’s guide to mobile activism (& handout)
- How mobile media can serve the public good
- Social media glossary
- Directory of Nonprofits’ Social Media Policies
- Techsoup.org/stock to get big discounts on software — only 501c3 nonprofits and public libraries are eligible.
- Google for nonprofits: a consolidated application process
- Google Apps for Nonprofits: communication, collaboration and publishing tools.
- Free human-centered design toolkit for NGOs (Ideo)
- 3 Ways Acumen Fund is eliminating poverty – and how you can help
- Cool videos: Solar bottle lights in a Ugandan kitchen | 50W Plastic bottle daytime light and A Liter of light (YouTube)
- Top Global Development NGOs on Social Media
- Global Voices and Rising Voices: Helping the global population join the global conversation
- Cool campaigns: Own a color and Help Save a Child’s Life: in aid of unicef and Light It Up Blue for World Autism Day (in partnership with the UN)
Have a question? Contact JD, contact Shonali or contact Socialbrite!
JD Lasica, founder and former editor of Socialbrite, is co-founder of Cruiseable. Contact JD or follow him on Twitter or Google Plus.