Here are some resources to accompany my talk at the Social Media for Nonprofits event in Los Angeles on Aug. 22, 2011. (I also spoke at the Social Media for Nonprofits SF gathering on June 29, 2011.) Check out other upcoming SM4NP events.
If you need a deeper dive, contact us. Socialbrite has put on customized Social Media Bootcamps for a large number of nonprofits and given workshops at several national nonprofit conferences.
Sites mentioned in the presentation
For pointers to the sites referenced in this presentation, go to:
Articles related to storytelling
• 8 great examples of nonprofit storytelling (Socialbrite)
• Visual storytelling checklist (Socialbrite)
• How nonprofits should be using visual storytelling (Socialbrite)
• Mash up a visual story for your nonprofit (Socialbrite)
• How to maximize your nonprofit’s impact with YouTube (Socialbrite)
• Create video stories for your nonprofit in 6 steps (Socialbrite)
• Digital storytelling: A tutorial in 10 easy steps (Socialbrite)
• Roundup of resources on how to create media (Socialbrite)
• How to run an effective campaign (YouTube)
• Secrets to Nonprofit Video Success (CitizenTube)
You asked, we answer
Someone asked what tools we’d suggest for recording video interviews via Skype. Here are a few:
• ecamm‘s Call Recorder for Skype is the best of the lot and offers both video and audio recording for Skype on a Mac.
• My colleague Shonali Burke says Pamela for Skype is great for PCs.
• Vodburner lets you record video calls via Skype.
• VIDBlaster is another option, says Heather Gold. Free trial.
• Callburner: My colleague Shel Holtz said this is the hands-down best way to record audio calls on Skype.
• Audio Hijack from the cool folks at Rogue Amoeba: For recording voice only. Aaron Hockley gives it a thumbs up.
Other suggestions? Please add in the comments below!
RESOURCES YOUR TEAM WILL FIND USEFUL
It’s no simple task to launch a storytelling initiative at a nonprofit. Here are some resources to get you going in the areas of content creation, video, community and related topics.
8 handouts to share with your team
The following handouts are released under a Creative Commons Attribution Noncommercial license — you’re free to republish, remix or redistribute them on your site (but cannot charge for them, of course). Please download and share these one-page PDFs with your teams and colleagues!
• 10 free metrics tools for actionable analytics (also at bit.ly/metricstools)
• 10 social media monitoring tools (also at bit.ly/10monitoring)
• 10 collaboration tools for your organization (also at bit.ly/teamcollab)
• 12 steps to a successful campaign
• 45 hashtags for social change (also at bit.ly/45hashtags)
• 15 best practices for the Social Web (also at bit.ly/15bestpractices
• 12 social action hubs (also at bit.ly/12socialhubs)
• 10 mobile apps for good (also at bit.ly/10mobileapps)
Making media resources & guides
Creating media: a collection of resources on Socialbrite
- 8 great examples of nonprofit storytelling
- A step-by-step guide to creating a media strategy
- What’s your video strategy to raise funds?
- A 13-point guide for creating media
- Guide to shooting better online video
- A quick guide to multimedia software
- Complete guide to creating a video project
- How nonprofits should be using visual storytelling
- Visual storytelling checklist
- 8 tips to help you shoot video like a pro
- Mash up a visual story for your nonprofit
- 6 tips on how to shoot photos like a pro
- 12 open source tools you should be using
Monitoring resources & guides
Monitoring the Social Web: a collection of resources on Socialbrite
- How to build & manage a monitoring dashboard
- 10 paid social media monitoring services for nonprofits
- 20 free, awesome social media monitoring tools
- Guide to monitoring social media conversations
- Top 10 social media dashboard tools
- Do you have a conversation strategy?
- Monitoring blog conversations
Metrics resources & guides
How to measure social media: a collection of resources on Socialbrite
- 14 free tools to measure your social influence
- How to measure your nonprofit’s social media success
- Getting started with social media metrics
- How to measure Facebook Page fan growth and engagement
- Actionable analytics for your social media efforts
- Klout: Measure your Twitter influence
- 3 killer tools to measure your Facebook clout
- How to use Facebook Insights
- 11 stats you need to measure on your Facebook Page
- 6 simple stats you need to measure on Twitter
- 9 critical stats to measure on your blog
- 7 tips for measuring your blog’s success
Mobile resources & guides
Mobile: a collection of resources on Socialbrite
- Mobile: How to set up an SMS campaign system
- A beginner’s guide to mobile fundraising
- How nonprofits can get started with mobile
- 7 ways for nonprofits to raise funds with mobile
- 10 mobile apps for social good
- Top 10 mobile apps for college students
- The role of mobile phones in citizen media
- A user’s guide to mobile activism (& handout)
- How mobile media can serve the public good
Community resources & guides
- How to build a sustainable community
- Using hashtags to enhance community14 free tools to measure your social influence
- Klout: Measure your Twitter influence
- Twitter tip: Choose whom you follow strategically
- 12 awesome platforms for social good download here (also at bit.ly/12socialhubs)
- A wide-ranging collection of free tutorials about how to optimize Facebook, Twitter, your blogs and more.
- Check out the resources in the Socialbrite Sharing Center
- Social media glossary
- Directory of Nonprofits’ Social Media Policies
- Directories of Free Photos, Free Music, Free Video that you can use for your organization’s blog, website, newsletters, reports and more.
- Free social media reports and whitepapers for nonprofits
- Go to techsoup.org/stock to get big discounts on software — only 501c3 nonprofits and public libraries are eligible.
- Google for nonprofits: a consolidated application process
- Google Apps for Nonprofits: communication, collaboration and publishing tools.
- 24 tools for fundraising with social media
- Behind the success of 10 top Causes
- How to make your website more accessible
- 10 tactics to be more efficient with social media
- 8 tips for raising funds online
- 15 social tools for local impact
- Web 2.0 productivity tools
- Social change organizations
- Gov. 2.0 resources
- Texting for Charitable Dollars: The Definitive Guide to Mobile Fundraising (MobileActive)
- Mobile Benchmarking Study – Mobile Advocacy and Fundraising Benchmarks
- TechSoup Global directory of social media resources
Have a question? Contact Socialbrite!JD Lasica works with nonprofits, social change organizations and businesses on social media strategies. See his profile, visit his business blog, contact JD or follow him on Twitter or Google Plus.